Arum says Haymon told him Spence vs. Crawford happens in 2020

Danny Garcia Errol Spence Jr Terence Crawford Al Haymon Bob Arum Spence vs. Crawford Spence vs. Garcia top rankBy Kenneth Friedman: Top Rank promoter Bob Arum is optimistic that a unification fight between WBO welterweight champion Terence Crawford and IBF/WBC champ Errol Spence Jr. will take place next year. Arum says he spoke with Spence’s adviser Al Haymon, and he told him that the Crawford-Spence fight will be taking place in 2020. Errol […]

Read full article: Arum says Haymon told him Spence vs. Crawford happens in 2020 @Boxing News 24

Jerwin Ancajas to defend title against Jonathan Rodriguez on Berchelt-Sosa card

Jerwin Ancajas will defend his IBF junior bantamweight title against Jonathan Rodriguez of Mexico on Nov. 2, Top Rank announced Tuesday afternoon.

The 12-round bout will take place at Dignity Health Sports Park (formerly known as Stubhub Center) in Carson, California. The fight will precede the main event bout between WBC junior lightweight titleholder Miguel Berchelt and Jason Sosa.

Both fights will air live on ESPN and ESPN Deportes (10:30 p.m. ET/ 7:30 p.m. PT).

Nov. 2 will mark the eighth defense of Ancajas’s IBF world title. In his last bout on May 4, Ancajcas (31-1-2, 21 knockouts) successfully defended his title by stopping Ryuichi Funai of Japan after the end of the sixth round.

The 27-year-old from Cavite City in The Philippines is eager to put on an impressive performance over Rodriguez that will lead to a unification fight against any of the other world titleholders at 115 pounds.

“I am looking forward to this fight because Rodriguez brings the Mexican style to his fights, and Mexican and Filipinos make the best fights,” said Ancajas, who is co-managed by Manny Pacquiao. “It is going to be a war. I look forward to putting on a show in Carson.”

Rodriguez (21-1, 15 KOs), who resides in San Luis Potosi, Mexico, stopped two-time world title challenger Felipe Orocuta in round 10 of his last bout on June 7. Rodriguez has won his last five bouts since suffering his only loss at the hands of Jose Estrada on Mar. 1 of last year.

Ancajas may have faced the better opposition, but Rodriguez believes he has enough pedigree to pull off the upset win on Nov. 2.

“I plan on taking full advantage of this opportunity,” Rodriguez said. “Ancajas is a great champion, but my time is now. It is time for a new face at 115 pounds.”

Two preliminary fights will make up the Top Rank undercard that will be streamed live on ESPN+ (7 p.m. ET/ 4 p.m. PT).

Fringe junior welterweight contender Javier Molina will square off against Hiroki Okada of Japan in a 10-round bout.

Molina (20-2, 8 KOs), who resides in the Los Angeles suburb of Norwalk, has won his last three bouts since his losing by unanimous decision to welterweight contender Jamal James. Okada (19-1, 13 KOs), who resides in Tokyo, has not fought since losing by knockout to Ray Beltran on Feb. 10.

Alex Saucedo (28-1, 18 KOs), who was stopped by Maurice Hooker in his last bout on Nov. 16, will face gatekeeper Rod Salka (24-5, 4 KOs) of Bunola, Pennsylvania in an eight-round bout. Hooker would win the vacant WBO junior welterweight title with the win over Saucedo.

Francisco A. Salazar has written for The Ring since October of 2013 and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. Francisco also covers boxing for the Ventura County (Calif.) Star newspaper, Boxingscene.com, and FightNights.com. He can be reached by email at santio89@yahoo.com or on Twitter at FSalazarBoxing

The post Jerwin Ancajas to defend title against Jonathan Rodriguez on Berchelt-Sosa card appeared first on The Ring.

Richard Commey will defend lightweight belt against Teofimo Lopez on Dec. 14 at MSG

Boxing returns to Madison Square Garden’s big room Dec. 14, and that night will feature a Richard Commey lightweight title defense, among other attractions.

The Ghana product will put his IBF strap up for grabs against heralded hitter Teofimo Lopez, the mandatory challenger who enjoyed a stratospheric run up last year, but has contended with a few speed bumps this year. 

Commey (29-2, 26 knockouts), managed by Michael Amoo-Bediako and Keith Connolly, defended his strap in June when he bested Ray Beltran, knocking him down four times before the fight was stopped in round eight. The 32-year-old Commey won the vacant belt in February with a second round stoppage of Isa Chaniev.

The African hitter has been waiting for Lopez (14-0, 11 KOs) to give the all clear signal that he is ready to rumble. Lopez has admitted he wanted to get his personal/family life settled some, so he could again focus more fully on the fighting life. The 22-year-old Lopez had looked invulnerable before struggling in a unanimous decision win over the previously unknown Masayoshi Nakatani in his last outing in July.

Commey took to social to announce he is settled and ready to clash. Bob Arum, who promotes  Lopez, confirmed to The Ring that Commey vs. Lopez is set in stone, as did Amoo-Bediako.

Terence Crawford, the WBO welterweight titleholder from Nebraska, will top the holiday season slate put together by Top Rank against an opponent to be named.

The post Richard Commey will defend lightweight belt against Teofimo Lopez on Dec. 14 at MSG appeared first on The Ring.

Arum still plans on Fury facing Wilder on Feb.22

Deontay Wilder Tyson Fury Bob Arum top rank Wilder vs. FuryBy Chris Williams: Top Rank promoter Bob Arum says the badly cut Tyson Fury will be restricted from sparring for seven weeks before he can start that part of his training for his rematch with WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder on February 22, according to Lance Pugmire. For Fury to start sparring in seven weeks, […]

Read full article: Arum still plans on Fury facing Wilder on Feb.22 @Boxing News 24

Tyson Fury gave his cutman a bonus for Otto Wallin fight

Tyson Fury ESPN Fury vs. Wallin Jorge Capetillo Otto Wallin top rankBy Charles Brun: Tyson Fury’s cutman Jorge Capetillo was an integral part in him winning his fight last Saturday night against Otto Wallin (20-1, 13 KOs) at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. After Fury suffered a potentially fight-ending cut over his right eye, Capetillo kept him in the bout by applying huge globs […]

Read full article: Tyson Fury gave his cutman a bonus for Otto Wallin fight @Boxing News 24