Golovkin: We will bring back Big Drama Show

It’s now official that Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (39-1-1 35 KOs) and Sergiy Derevyanchenko (13-1 10 KOs) will clash for the vacant IBF world middleweight title on Saturday October 5 at Madison Square Garden in New York, live on DAZN. The bout will be promoted by GGG Promotions and Matchroom Boxing USA in association with DiBella Entertainment.

Gennady Golovkin: “Everyone knows that I consider Madison Square Garden as my home away from home and there is nothing better than fighting there again. It is old school. On October 5, it’s going to be a good fight. Every time I enter the ring I try to give my fans the fight they want to see, the show they deserve. This will be such a fight. We will bring back Big Drama Show to the ring of The Garden and to DAZN. Don’t miss it. You will see everything you love in the sport of boxing. See you in New York.”

Sergiy Derevyanchenko: “I have a great deal of respect for ‘GGG’ and looking forward to proving in the ring that I will be up to challenge and fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming a world champion. Those in attendance at Madison Square Garden and watching on DAZN will see an outstanding battle on Saturday October 5 — I can’t wait to enter the ring.”

Tickets go on sale at noon ET on Friday.

The post Golovkin: We will bring back Big Drama Show appeared first on fightnews.com.

Kovalev-Yarde Final Press Conference

WBO world light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev (33-3-1, 28KOs) and challenger Anthony Yarde (18-0, 17KOs) met for the first time today at their fight week press conference. They collide on Saturday night in Chelyabinsk, Russia live on ESPN+ and BT Sport 2.
Kovalevyardepresser
Anthony Yarde: “I’m just going to literally go in the ring and be myself. I’m going to focus on myself, be the best that I can be and get the knockout victory because that’s what I feel like I need to do to win the fight. I don’t know which round. I’m not a psychic… but that’s my plan. In boxing you can’t predict rounds. I’ve just got to go in there with a goal in my head and produce.”

Sergey Kovalev: “We did have an offer (from Canelo Alvarez) but we can talk about that after Saturday night. Official agreements were already made with Antony Yarde. My primary task is to defend the title. If the fight is still interesting for Canelo afterwards then OK…I understand Anthony Yarde’s ambitions. He calls himself a lion but to me he is a cub. He is so young. I will have to get rid of all that baby fur off his skin so he will run away back home. It is clear he comes here and he wants to be like that. I have this experience. Now is my time.”

The post Kovalev-Yarde Final Press Conference appeared first on fightnews.com.

Kingry: I just need to work hard and stay humble

By Miguel Maravilla

Undefeated lightweight Ryan “Kingry” Garcia (18-0, 15 KOs) of Victorville, California returns to the ring Saturday, September 14 as he will be taking on Philadelphia’s Avery Sparrow (10-1, 3 KOs) at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California live on DAZN in the co-feature headlined Jaime Munguia vs. Patrick Allotey. Fightnews.com® caught up with Kingry at Golden Boy Promotions Headquarters.

Garciasparrowlapc Hoganphotos5
Photo: Tom Hogan-Hoganphotos/Golden Boy

“Out of the three fights I was offered I knew Avery was the hardest. You will see a lot more from me,” Garcia told Fightnews.com. “Avery is very fast and that’s what I’m going to have to train for.”

This will be Garcia’s third camp under trainer Eddie Reynoso. The duo is preparing in San Diego. Reynoso is famously known as Mexican superstar Saul “Canelo” Alvarez’ trainer. Other champions trained under Reynoso includes former world champion Oscar “Chololo” Larios and he currently trains undefeated super featherweight Oscar Valdez.

“I’m going to bring my all and train like it’s my last, upping my speed and power,” Garcia said. “I know that my experience and my training will help me win this fight.”

So far Garcia is 2-0, 2 KOs since hooking up with Reynoso. “Eddie really wants me to get better because he really believes in me,” Garcia stated.

Garcia is coming off a second round stoppage over Jose Lopez last March at Fantasy Springs. Following that fight Garcia went on to call out a few major players.

“I ain’t intimidated by Mayweather; nobody can intimidate me,” Garcia said in his post- fight interview.

Prior to his last fight Garcia had been going back-and-forth on social media with Floyd Mayweather Jr. and his super-featherweight world champion Gervonta Davis about a potential match-up. Floyd offered Garcia $200k to fight Mayweather Promotions fighter Rolando Romero and if he’d get past Romero he would grant Garcia a title shot vs. Davis. Garcia was also seen hanging out and partying with Floyd earlier this year at his birthday bash.

In wake of the challenges issued to Garcia, Golden Boy Promotions filed cease-and-desist letter to Mayweather for tampering in an attempt to sign or lure Garcia into Mayweather’s stable. Since then Garcia has been spotted at various PBC events including Gervonta Davis’s fights and was in attendance for the Pacquiao-Thurman fight.

The drama continued a few weeks ago with Garcia as he went on to social media stating that he needed a better promotion. It was mentioned that Garcia wanted to headline his own card in November and he passed on facing hard-hitting Filipino Romero Duno.

“It was never about that. Jaime is a good guy. It’s about the facts of the matter. I know I’m well known around the nation but everyone knows who I am. I’m not trying to bring anyone down,” Garcia stated. “I wanted to take the hardest fight I got offered and that was Avery.

With all that said, Garcia now focuses his attention to his Philadelphia counterpart, Avery Sparrow. The Philadelphia fighter comes into this fight with a majority decision over former world title challenger Hank Lundy. His only loss came via disqualification in his fifth fight. One thing Sparrow and Garcia have in common is that they have both fought and defeated Jose Lopez.

“He’s a fast and undefeated counter puncher. He’s smart,” Garcia said about Avery. “Avery is not the easiest but he is not going to be able to last, if he does it’s going to be good,” Garcia promised.

The bottom line? “I just need to work hard and stay humble get the fights that I need to have,” Garcia concluded.

Follow Miguel on Twitter @MigMaravilla

The post Kingry: I just need to work hard and stay humble appeared first on fightnews.com.

Gallo Estrada visits children’s hospital

On Tuesday, WBC flyweight champion Juan Francisco “Gallo” Estrada visited the Children’s Hospital of Sonora, where he inspired children who are struggling to get ahead of their diseases.
Estradahospital03
His message was with faith and determination they can leave the hospital fully recovered. Estrada posed for souvenir photos, signed autographs and gave gifts to the smiling kids. “El Gallo” dedicated his defense to them and promised to fight with all his might to retain the world title because his championship belt also belongs to them.

Estrada (39-3, 26 KOs) will defend his title against Dewayne Beamon (16-1-1, 11 KOs) on Saturday before 11,500 in the municipal center in Hermosillo, Mexico, on DAZN in the U.S. and Azteca 7 in Mexico.



Estradahospital02

Estradahospital04

Estradahospital05

Estradahospital01

The post Gallo Estrada visits children’s hospital appeared first on fightnews.com.

Figueroa to defend WBA interim title Saturday

Unbeaten WBA interim super bantamweight champion Brandon “The Heartbreaker” Figueroa (18-0, 13 KOs) showed off his skills at a media workout Tuesday before his homecoming title defense against Argentina’s Javier Nicolas “Chispita” Chacon (29-4-1, 9 KOs) that headlines FS1 PBC Fight Night and on FOX Deportes this Saturday night from Bert Ogden Arena in Edinburg, Texas.

Brandon Figueroa
Photo: Christian Inoferio

“I never underestimate any opponent ahead of a fight,” the 22-year-old Figueroa said Tuesday at the Panterita Boxing Club in Weslaco, Texas. “I train hard for every fight like it’s the biggest fight of my life. We’re working on my power, my speed and my defense. I have to work on all of that to be at the world class level.”

The post Figueroa to defend WBA interim title Saturday appeared first on fightnews.com.

Avispa Ortiz, Chema Ocampo headline Aug 31

Legendary WBA female minimumweight champion Anabel “Avispa” Ortiz (29-3, 4 KOs) will defend her belt for the 12th time against former interim titleholder Maria Milano (10-1-1, 4 KOs) on August 31, at Arena La Paz in La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico.

In the co-feature, former world title challenger Carlos “Chema” Ocampo (24-1, 14 KOs) will be back in action. You may remember Ocampo facing IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence last June in Texas. Since then, Ocampo has been fighting at junior middleweight and is 2-0 at his new weight.

Azteca 7, la Casa del Boxeo, will televise in Mexico to close out a stellar month of August for Zanfer Promotions.

The post Avispa Ortiz, Chema Ocampo headline Aug 31 appeared first on fightnews.com.

Rowan Campbell to defend IBO All Africa title

By Ron Jackson

South African super middleweight champion Rowan Campbell could be extended to the limit when he defends his IBO All Africa super middleweight title against the big punching Johannesburg based Patrick Mukala from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, at Emperors Palace near Kempton Park on Friday night.

Campbell (10-0, 6 KOs) has only been fighting as a pro since December 2016.

He won the South African super middleweight title on August 10 last year in a closely fought 12 rounder against Renson Hobyani and in his next fight captured the vacant IBO All Africa super middleweight title with a points victory over Alex Kabangu.

In May this year at Emperors Palace, he retained the IBO title with a comfortable point’s victory over Yanga Phetani, with scores of 99-91, 98-92 and 98-93.

The 25-year-old Mukala (11-1-1, 10 KOs) made his pro debut in August 2014 and won eight of his first nine fights inside the distance before losing on points to the more experienced Ryno Liebenburg in October 2017.

The only other blot on his record was in his most recent fight in September 2018 when he fought to a split draw against Emmanuel Anim in defence of his WBA Pan Africa super middleweight title.

There are two other exciting matchups on the card with Rourke Knapp, 21, who has a record of 10-0; 6 up against 34-year-old Aleksandr Zhuravskiy 13-5-1; 11 from Kazakhstan and a Gauteng junior bantamweight title fight between Ricardo Malajika 4-0; 3 and Layton Gloss 5-2;3 for the vacant title.

Other bouts on the card are Junior lightweights Cayden Truter vs Lopez Maluleke over four rounds, welterweight four rounds, Darrin Rossouw vs Ramsey Hlungwani and a light heavyweight bout between Luvyo Sizani and Karabo Mokupi also over four rounds.

The tournament is presented by Rodney Berman of Golden Gloves Promotions.

The post Rowan Campbell to defend IBO All Africa title appeared first on fightnews.com.